Using your M.A. in Marriage and Family Therapy, Gabrielle has helped couples improve their relationships through therapy. She also has experience in sexual assault recovery.
see more information
Learn more about ourEditorial Policy.
Master in Marriage and Family Therapy
Posted on February 4, 2021
Ending a relationship is never easy, and you can have a lot on your mind. If you're planning to send a long breakup text but don't know where to start, it might be helpful to take a look at some examples that you can use as a template.
long final text
Sometimes a short text is not enough to convey what you want to say. Sending a long breakup message gives you enough space to say what you need to say andend the relationshipwith a more complete explanation for the recipient of the text.
- How to Text a Girl and Create a Genuine Connection
- 17 long distance love poems
Long-term relationship breakup over text
break the textExamples of long-term relationships:
- I wanted to contact you and tell you what you've been thinking lately. While our relationship has been incredibly special and meaningful to me thus far, I'm realizing more and more that we both want different things out of life. While nothing is really wrong with our relationship, I think it would be better if we parted ways so that we both have a chance to pursue our individual goals.
- I want to be completely honest with you. While I enjoyed our relationship, I don't see us working in the future. Something inside of me changed and my needs changed. I will always treasure the memories we shared and would love tostay friendsif you are open to it. I'm here if you have any questions or want to chat anytime.
- I feel terrible doing this over text, but I felt like this was the best way to express my thoughts as clearly as possible. Being with you was full of incredible ups and downs and some painful moments, but we always made it work. Lately, I've been feeling like we just left. I'm not sure if you feel it too, but I've reached a point where I feel like we're not the best fit for each other anymore. As much as I hate ending our relationship, I feel, at this point, that it's the right thing to do. If you'd like to meet us and talk in person, I'd be happy to do so anytime.
The best breakup texts to send
Some solid options for separating texts:
- I know we've always been completely honest with each other, so I thought I'd reach out to you and let you know how I feel. I greatly admire and respect your ambition, but I feel like our relationship has taken a backseat. I don't think this is anyone's fault, I just think we have different relationship styles. I want you to be able to chase your dreams, so I think it's best that we end our relationship.
- Although we have had an amazing relationship so far, I know that this is no longer the best relationship for me at this point in my life. I need to trust my instincts and figure out what I want out of a relationship, and I think it's best to do it alone.
Serious breakup texts, copy and paste
Examples of serious breaking text:
- As hard as it is for me to say this, I have to admit that I've been hesitating between giving our relationship another chance and breaking up with you. After thinking it over carefully, I really feel that it's better that we part ways. While I have enjoyed our time together, I just don't feel like this relationship is meeting all my needs right now. I hope you understand that it was never my intention to hurt you and I wish you the best in your life.
- Our relationship has been such an important part of my life for so long that I feel like I've forgotten how to just be me. While I am beyond grateful for the beautiful memories we shared together, I feel it is very important for me to be alone at this time in my life. Please understand that this is not about anything you have done or not done; He really is a wonderful person and has been an incredible partner. I'm sorry to have to do this, but I hope you understand where I'm coming from.
Ending a casual relationship over text
If you want to end a casual relationship over text, you can say:
- I had a great time getting to know you and I can certainly say that we had a great time together. I want to be honest with you and tell you that I'm looking for a more serious relationship in the future and I feel like it's best that we break up. I am so grateful for our time together and I only wish them the best.
- I am very grateful for the time we spent together and I loved meeting him; however, I no longer feel like this is the best relationship for me right now. I will remember the wonderful times we had together and I truly feel lucky that our paths have crossed.
Term didactic texts
If you want to make sure your breakup message is as polite as possible, you can say:
- The last thing I would want to do is hurt you, but I feel like it's better to be honest with you. While I loved hanging out with you, I don't see us exercising. It's nothing you or I have done, I just don't see our goals aligning in the future and I feel like it's better to get things done sooner rather than later. I'm here to talk if you have any questions and I really hope you understand where I'm coming from.
- You really are one of the most amazing couples I've ever had, but I feel like this isn't the best relationship for me anymore. I feel like we've done everything we can to improve our relationship, but we may not be the best fit for each other. I really appreciate all the special memories we have shared and I only wish you the best in your life.
Breakup Text When It Feels More Like Friendship
Once you get to know someone, you may think of them more as a friend than a partner. Text messages you can send to end the relationship include:
- I wanted to connect with you and tell you that I've been thinking about our relationship and I've noticed that I'm starting to see us more as friends. I really like you and I would really like to feel that spark, but I have to be honest with myself and with you. I'd love to stay friends if you're open to it. I'll give you your space until you're ready to talk. I hope you understand.
- I've been thinking about this for a while, and despite my best efforts to make our relationship work, I can't shake the feeling that we feel more like friends than romantic partners. I'm afraid to tell you this since the last thing I want to do is hurt your feelings, but it didn't feel right not to say anything. I want you to know that I think you're amazing. I wish you all the best and I know you will find someone who is just as amazing as you are.
Breakup text when dating was boring
Sometimes dates just don't work and are completely boring. The chemistry may be lacking and you may just not have clicked. If your date was boring, you can text:
- I wanted to check in and let you know that I enjoyed getting to know you a little better on our date. While I think you're a great person, I don't think our personalities are a better fit. I wish you the best.
- I wanted to thank you again for finding us the other day. I really enjoyed hearing about your interests and education. Despite enjoying our time together, I don't feel like we had a spark, and that's something that's very important to me. I wish you the best in your future dating endeavors.
Sign up for our newsletter with the latest stories and products we love.
Breakup text if it was rude or inappropriate
If you want to break up with someone who was rude or inappropriate, you can send them a text:
- I am contacting you to inform you that the way you treated me on our date was completely inappropriate. I'm letting you know this in the hopes that you don't treat your next date the same way.
- I wanted you to know that the comments you made about (insert subject) were rude and unnecessary. Please don't contact me again.
Know that if you don't feel comfortable doing this, you don't need to text someone who made you feel emotionally or physically unsafe. It is perfectly normal to block them.
What is a good breakup text?
Short texts that work for many situations:
- After thinking about it for a while, I think our relationship is not going to work out.
- I enjoyed meeting you, but I don't think we're the best fit for each other.
- I wanted to tell you that I'm not interested in dating anymore, take care.
How to break up with someone nicely over text
Breaking up with someone in a kind and considerate way is entirely possible, but remember that the person receiving it will interpret everything you say in unique ways that you can't predict. Make sure:
- Avoid going into too much detail about why you want to break up.
- Avoid blaming them for anything.
- Answer their questions in a kind and compassionate way.
- Remember, you've known about the breakup for a while and they're finding out.
Sending a breakup message can be incredibly difficult and stressful. After you hit submit, make sure youTake careso that you can process this experience in a healthy way.
Read Next: This Is The Right Way To Break Up Over Text
related and popular
© 2022 LoveToKnow Media. All rights reserved.